Mom...

Mom...
I can't have any more kids, I don't have any more arms!

Friday, January 1, 2010

Fire trucks & more

Why is it that everytime I have to call the fire dept. to come out, it is when the house is an absolute pit?? (maybe because it is like that most of the time??) A year ago, when our oven caught on fire, we had just gotten home from Hawaii & our stuff was everywhere. When we had to call when Annika had croup, we had just gotten home (late) from Chelan. And yesterday...all the mess from Christmas is still needing to be put away. Ugh. I am sure the firefighters have more to worry about, but still, how embarrassing.
Our latest call to the fire dept. came yesterday afternoon, around 4 something. I had just turned on our outside porch lights/Christmas lights & went into the kitchen to get some water. I was about to get Kellen up from "nap" (he wasn't sleeping) when I smelled something, like something burning on the stove. I went looking to see what it was, & in our entry way smoke was pouring out of the light switch & the wall was turning black!! I quickly turned off the switch, grabbed the phone, called 911, & got Kellen up. Then we went & got Annika up & I put them in the van. I ran back to get Kaarin & we all waited in the van. The fire trucks (2 of them), aid car, fire chief, etc. (not sure all that arrived, but there were 5 vehicles) came with lights AND sirens going! Kellen, of course, thought it was so exciting! Fortunately the "fire" (there were actually no flames since I turned the switch off) was contained to one spot & the firemen were able to remove part of the switch & cap the wires, so we ended up not really having any damage that can't be easily repaired. We are so thankful, though -- if we had been gone it would have been a very different story!!

Anyway, after that we just went out for Indian food for dinner.:) It is so yummy. We tried a new dish, Saag Lamb, which was great!! A new favorite for the list. Then we came home, had ice cream, put the kids to bed, & watched Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year or whatever it's called. By the way, Dick Clark looked SCARY!! He looked like he was wearing some mask as a bank robber in some movie. Weird. We stayed up until midnight & then went to bed. Happy New Year! Our goal is fewer 911 calls in 2010...;)

1 comment: