Mom...

Mom...
I can't have any more kids, I don't have any more arms!

Monday, February 1, 2010

A day at the zoo

I need to get on the ball & upload some pictures...but it takes a bit of time since I have to identify the number of all the pictures I want to upload before I can upload them. All I see when I try to upload is the # of the picture, not an actual image. So...maybe tomorrow!

Today the weather forecast was for rain in the afternoon, so we risked it & took a trip to the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium. I was doubting my sanity for a few moments when I had 3 screaming kids before we were even in the car...but decided to go for it anyway. The trip was fine overall. The kids had a great time, & we saw some things today that we hadn't done in the past: the touch-tank in the aquarium (Kellen could stay there all day), the camels, & the Seahorse exhibit. While we were in the aquarium, however, a crow decided to make off with my lunch -- the entire BAG!! We came out to find the bag on the ground, the juice box on the ground, an empty Frito bag, & no sandwich to be found...AND bird poop on the stroller! Nice. After we went to see the elephants, tiger, monkeys (they're not really monkeys, but that's what I call them to my 2 & 3 yr. olds), otters, etc., we sat down to eat lunch. The crows were really hovering, but I really didn't think they would be as bold as they were: Kellen got up to throw something into the garbage (Annika & I were still sitting at the table!!) & 2 crows swooped in & took off with the rest of his sandwich & his bag of chips!!!! Fortunately he wasn't too upset about it...! Anyway, we went from there to see the walrus, who was quite entertaining today - he was using his flipper to make waves/bubbles, then was also blowing bubbles with his mouth - & then rode the carousel & left. We had to stop at Costco to get gas, so we ended up going inside since we were hungry!! Bad idea to shop at Costco when you're hungry...$$. The kids were pretty tired by this point, so their behavior was starting to deteriorate. We headed home (4:00 by this time) & watched Finding Nemo (since they had seen several of the fish at the zoo), had dinner, a bath, then hit the sack. All in all, a good day.:)

We also had the privilege this week of seeing my cousin, Erika, who is here from Finland! She grew up here, then moved to Finland as part of a grad school program, & ended up staying & marrying a Finnish man. They have 2 kids, Lukas & Mia, who are just about a year older than Kellen & Annika. Anyway, she was here this time without the kids, since it was an unexpected trip home as my uncle was having surgery to remove cancer from his intestine. The surgery went well, & he is recovering in the hospital. It had been over a year since I had seen Erika, & it was great to get to spend time with her, even if she was here for a less-than-happy reason. It is hard to live so far away from family! I am thankful for those who do live close.

No comments:

Post a Comment